Friday, July 22, 2011

Agape Fellowship - Wednesday, August 17

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." Deuteronomy 6:5-7

Sometimes I get text messages from friends that I have no idea what they are talking about so I ask them "What does IMHO mean?" They will quickly reply "In My Honest/Humble Opinion." I didn't get that feeling when I read this scripture. God is clearly telling me that it is my J-O-B as a Christian parent to impress His commandments on my children. I'm supposed to live the example of a Christian life as well as talk to them about God's commandments. It seems to me that God has covered every aspect of the day with, "when I lie down and when I get up."

To often as our children approach adolescence we tend to see them as that thing that has taken over our baby. Didn't we know that they were going to go through this part of their life? So God tells us in Deuteronomy that we are supposed to prepare our children for this time by talking to them. We aren't supposed to run from them or shake our heads at them, but we should talk to them, when we sit at home, when we're at church, when we're riding down the street, before we go to bed and when we get up in the morning. I don't think that God meant just our biological children. I believe that He wants us to impress His commandments on all of our children.

The youth of Central have been very fortunate this summer. They have traveled the United States learning about themselves and how they can be leaders in mission, the United Methodist Church and the community. On Wednesday, August 17, we will have Agape fellowship which will have a Youth Sharing portion. Come out for a delicious meal and an opportunity to impress the commandments of your hearts on our children.

I wish you peace and blessings.
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment